Friday, December 2, 2011

More Narrative Stuff



Title: Slavery through the Eyes of Clara Parker.. What do you guys think?

Picture: How is the engraved portrait. which pic looks better?

Testimonials/ Introductions

Preface by the Author

I would like begin by warning the reader that this narrative is completely accurate. The accounts portrayed in my journeys follow the real events that occurred over the course of my slave life and my free life. I hope that you will come to understand the true aspects of Slavery and the horrible effects that remained with the many African Americans that endured Slavery’s harsh consequences. Yes, every whipping I discussed occurred, and every wound that was formed still has scars to represent its existence.

My life has witnessed a horrible slave master and a comforting slave plantation, but my greatest joys in life have come from my freedom and my family. After escaping to the North, I was able to discuss my life with trustworthy peers, and I attempted to promote information about Slavery. After many friends listened to my adventures, I was encouraged to share my story with society. However, this narrative was not by any means written for entertainment purposes. Truly, I would feel more comfortable keeping my life details to myself, but as a way of informing the nation of slave’s struggles to live, I decided to continue forth with this project.

While I always try to spend time with my family, I was sure to put a great amount of effort into making my story known to the world. This narrative is my way of educating others on Slavery and preventing people from becoming a part of this horrendous crime in the future.

Clara Parker

Introduction by the Editor

The slave narrative which you are about to read is written by a wonderful woman who has taken a great risk by exposing her past full of adventures. I have had the great pleasure of listening to her story and spending time with her family. While it may seem as if her tale includes many outrageous events and her writing may seem quite eloquent, I assure you that this narrative includes Clara’s real thoughts, ideas, and writing style. As a child, she was taught how to read and write by her nice mistress, and she learned a great deal about English during her time in the North, giving her the knowledge necessary to display her story. I have not edited any of her ideas, though I have moved around parts of the narrative for clarification purposes.

I am against the idea of slavery in the United States, and I hope that while you are reading, you may take the time to consider how you may take action against slavery. In the South, there are women, children, and even men, who have been born into lives of horror. While this tale may seem gruesome and violent, you must understand that the tale itself cannot possibly portray the entire extent of the maltreatment of slaves. Nevertheless, this narrative describes the truth, and as I read through this piece for the very first time, the truth, indeed, speaks for itself.

Through the help of my Anti-Slavery society and my dear friend, William Lloyd Garrison, I have been able to spread a great amount of information concerning the need for abolition, and I would hope that this narrative will help you understand how important it is for you to take a stand against slavery. I will continue to support Clara by dispersing her story throughout the nation, and I am sure she would appreciate careful consideration of her narrative.

J. Greenleaf Whittier

2 comments:

  1. Dannnnng Divs, that was good. And I kinda like the second picture, because it looks more worn and stuff...and if this was supposed to be written back in the 1800s, then the picture would be worn, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it would be worn. We are going with the second picture then! :)

    ReplyDelete